Tuesday 24 May 2016

BOOK DEBATE #4: GIVING UP ON SERIES

We haven't had a book debate for a while, but I wanted to discuss giving up on series and also mention a couple of series that I don't think I'm going to be carrying on with.

Spoiler alert: I'm all for giving up on series.

And let me explain why. What's the point of putting yourself through something that you don't like? The saying is true that there are too many books and not enough time, so why read something you're not enjoying when there's something else out there that you're going to love? For me personally, the rest of the series could be good, but if I don't enjoy the first book then I'm not going to carry on. That's a lot of pressure to put onto a first book. At the moment, I'm finding myself in a mentality where I could enjoy a book, but just not enough that I can be bothered to carry on with the series (looking at you 'Red Queen' and 'The Kiss of Deception'). I'm also finding myself a little bit tired of reading series all the time (I write this as I read series upon series upon series), but I now feel that I need some more standalones in my life.

I can understand why people would continue with series, it may get better in the second book, or even the third, but then again, why risk it? I can also understand the feeling of 'maybe I should carry on, maybe I shouldn't just quit and stick it out'. In 2015, I read more first books of series that I'm not going to continue with than I've ever read before in my life, and I feel that maybe I should carry on with at least one of them, just so that I haven't given up on masses of series in one year. 

That being said, I'm coming round to the idea that life is just too short to read things you're not excited about, and so I thought I'd make a list of some of the series I don't think I'm going to carry on with. You should never had to justify why you don't want to read something, but for me these were all books that I was really excited for and was really let down by.

1. The 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon
2. The 'Fire & Floor' series/trilogy/duoloy (who knows) by Victoria Scott
3. 'The Remnant Chronicles' by Mary E. Pearson (maybe I'll pick up the next book, but at the moment it's looking like a no)
4. The 'Red Queen' trilogy/series by Victoria Aveyard (again, maybe I'll continue but most likely not)
5. The 'Magonia' duology by Maria Dahvana Headley (those covers though, ooooommmmmgggg)

No comments:

Post a Comment