Monday 30 November 2015

2015 READING CHALLENGE: NOVEMBER ROUND-UP

I was so excited for all the books on my TBR in November, I had a brand new release to read (Carry On) that I ordered roughly a week after it came out, I had the final Harry Potter book and I had my favourite ever book to re-read (Anne of Green Gables). In November I read 6 books and I have read a grand total of 62 books so far in 2015; only one month left to go... I am also around 300 pages through 'Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods' by Rick Riordan, which I will finish either today or tomorrow.

I also read 'The Maze Runner' files by James Dashner, a sort of novella to the Maze Runner series, but it's so short I didn't count it towards my Goodreads total. I enjoyed this novella, if you can even call it that? It's about 50 pages long and I read it in about half hour, but I did enjoy that short amount of time. I liked getting an insight into the releasing of the Flare virus, it's not explained all that much in the books themselves and this made it much clearer; I also enjoyed reading from other points of view aside from Thomas's. I especially liked how the telepathy thing was actually explained and made sense, it was the one thing in the book that never seemed right until now. I'd recommend this for any fan of the Maze Runner series.

Books Read:

1. 'Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian'- Rick Riordan
This was such a good end to the series, I was so satisfied with the ending, I didn't feel like I needed anything else, it was just all-round fantastic. What I liked most about this book was that, in most books the big epic fight scene only lasts about two or three chapters, whereas here it was the entire book. I loved that. I also liked the twist on the 'last Olympian', I liked how it isn't what you think it's going to be and how ambiguous that was. I am so excited to read the spin-off series next.

2. 'Carry On'- Rainbow Rowell
'Carry On' is everywhere at the moment, and I was so desperate to read it that I bought it the week after it came out in hardback (I never do that). This book is related to 'Fangirl' by Rainbow Rowell, but you don't need to read 'Fangirl' first to read this. Rainbow Rowell stated that this is a kind of spoof (without being a stupid spoof) of Harry Potter, and you can definitely see the similarities. However, after Part 2 it started becoming more of it's own story and I got really invested in it. One thing I would say is that it's very confusing, their magic literally makes no sense to me and I don't think it ever will. As it's written like the 8th book in the series, the mentioning of past events is quite confusing and you really feel as if you've missed out on something by there not being the previous 7 books. Apart from this, I really, really enjoyed it. I ship Simon and Baz so much it hurts and the romance scenes were beyond perfect (I wouldn't consider that a spoiler, everyone knows what the romance is before even reading the book). It definitely picks up after Part 2 (or Part 3, I can't quite remember) when Baz arrives, Simon is rather annoying with his obsession with Baz before then. I'd recommend this, it was fab, fab, fab. Love it.

3. 'Anne of Green Gables'- L.M. Montgomery 
I won't say all that much about this one. It's no secret that 'Anne of Green Gables' is my absolute favourite book of all time and it was definitely due a re-read. I love this book so much, it's just a lovely, lovely, mostly happy story and it's just such a perfect read. I can't put my love for it into words.

4. 'Fangirl'- Rainbow Rowell
After reading 'Carry On', I became a bit obsessed with Rainbow Rowell's writing and I wanted to read everything she's written (I'd actually never had any interest in any of her books before). I thought 'Fangirl' was a really enjoyable read, I flew through it really quickly and I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I'd highly recommend and I'm excited to read more of Rainbow Rowell's books.

5. 'Henry V'- William Shakespeare
I watched the RSC's Henry V at the Barbican a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic. After watching Shakespeare, I like to read the play afterwards; I find that watching it first helps me get a better understanding of what's going on. I love Shakespeare and his histories are by far my favourites of his works.

6. 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'- J.K. Rowling
And now I have finished re-reading the Harry Potter series. And now I am emotionally fraught.

No comments:

Post a Comment