Tuesday 1 December 2015

WELCOME BACK BLOGMAS

Hello Blogmas 2015!!!! How exciting, it's officially December, and my Christmas Spirit hasn't peaked and died already this year! This is my 3rd time doing Blogmas (3rd, 3rd, 3rd, that's crazy), but we're going to do it slightly differently this year. I'm a busy, busy person. I'm at college for full days on Wednesday and Thursday, I'm at work all day on Saturdays and Sundays, I have coursework due in, it's just not practical to attempt to blog every single day up until December 25th. So I've decided that this year that I'm going to blog every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with a few exceptions. Exceptions include today (a Tuesday, but the 1st), Thursday 24th and and Thursday 31st. I also thought I'd open this year with a nice, chatty blog post, which is what I'm doing right now.

I thought we'd start with a couple of 'Top 5' lists (because who doesn't love a top 5 list?), of my top 5 favourite Christmas songs and Christmas films (roughly in order). We'll start with the Christmas films, shall we?

Top 5 Christmas Films:
1. 'Muppet Christmas Carol' - My absolute favourite Christmas film, it's so similar to the book (and that impresses me), the songs are great and it just warms my little heart.
2. 'Love Actually' - How could this not make the list? The Liam Neeson and Thomas Brodie-Sangster storyline is my favourite by far.
3. 'When Harry Met Sally' - Not technically a Christmas film, but my mum and I watch this every year when we wrap presents and it's one of my favourite traditions and one of my favourite films.
4. 'The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey' - A truly and wonderfully terrible film, but my friends and I have a long-running joke about it and I love it purely for that reason.
5. A tie between 'Elf', 'Four Christmases' and 'The Santa Clause' - Absolutely classics.

Top 5 Christmas Songs:
1. 'The Fairytale of New York' (The Pogues) - I challenge anyone not to love this, it's an absolutely incredible song, the lyrics are genius and it's one of the catchiest things I've ever listened to.
2. 'Step Into Christmas' (Elton John) - Catchy and upbeat and happy and incredible.
3. 'Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time' (Paul MccCartney) - A Christmas Classic.
4. 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)' (John Lennon) - Another Christmas Classic.
5. A tie between 'I Wish it Could Be Christmas Everyday' (Wizzard) and 'Merry Xmas Everybody' (Slade) - Everyones' Christmas favourites.

I'm also going to include a cheeky paragraph here of just general things I love at Christmas time. Two (fairly sad) highlights of my year are definitely the return of the Body Shop Christmas range (watch this space) and the return of the Costa Christmas menu; you know Christmas is definitely here when these two come back. I've never truly got over Costa never bringing back their honeycomb hot chocolate on the Christmas menu, undoubtedly the nicest thing I've ever drunk, but I feel we should give an honourable mention to Starbucks' honey and almond hot chocolate, which is really something special.

What I also love around Christmas time is watching 'Liberty of London' on Channel 4, a short documentary series that follows Liberty, the hella fancy department store, as it prepares for Christmas. There's something just so festive about the Liberty show and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and festive and excited inside. I've watched it every year since in began in 2013 (so only 2 years) but I haven't heard anything about it this year, and I'm starting to get slightly stressed that it won't be on. PLEASE CHANNEL 4, PLEASE.

And finally, a few books that I always like to read around Christmas time; it really wouldn't be Christmas without them, and they make me feel warm and wonderful every time. Firstly, 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens; a fantastic book, a fantastic story and I'd consider it one of my all-time favourite books (I like to imagine the Muppets when I read it). Now for a sad part. And by sad I mean sad loser. The two books it's sort of a tradition for me to read at Christmas are 'Holly the Christmas Fairy' and 'Stella the Star Fairy' by Daisy Meadows, two of the books in the Rainbow Magic series. Yes, I know, sad. BUT I've been reading these every year since I was really young, they're the perfect, lovely books for getting you into the festive season, I feel all warm and happy thinking about them, and it just wouldn't be Christmas without reading them.

2015 was a really, really fantastic year for me, and I hope it was great for all of you too.

Rosie 

No comments:

Post a Comment