Monday 29 February 2016

FEBRUARY READING WRAP UP 2016

I didn't have the best reading month in February, in total I read 4 books, and I've read 11 books so far in 2016. I'm also just over half way through 'Anna Karenina', which I'm really enjoying but is taking me a long time to read, and I'm also still 33% of the way through 'The Bronze Horseman', which is so long and slow I'm debating giving up on it. We'll see. I have big plans for March (lots of library books to read).

Books Read:

1. 'And Then There Were None'- Agatha Christie 
I watched the new BBC version of 'And Then There Were None' when it came out at Christmas and I absolutely loved it; I was desperate to read it afterwards and this month I finally picked it up. This is the first Agatha Christie book that I've read and I was surprised at how quick and easy it was. The story flows so smoothly and I sped through it without even realising (I think it took me about 24 hours to read). What I love most about this story is the premise, I absolutely loved the way it was centred around a poem, it was absolutely genius. A fantastic read and a really great start into Agatha Christie's novels.

2. 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'- Douglas Adams
I picked this one up on something of a whim, I just randomly felt like reading some sci-fi. I enjoyed this book, but I definitely wanted some more world building from it, there's quite literally the whole universe, and I felt that the story was really lacking in more detail. I'm undecided about whether or not to carry on the series, I wasn't going to but I'm hoping to get some more world building out of the later books and I feel that the story is missing something if treated as a stand-alone. Overall, however, I did really enjoy it.

3. 'Absolute Beginners'- Colin MacInnes 
The two sole reasons I read this book were because of how much Andy Miller raved about it in 'The Year of Reading Dangerously' (yes, I'm still talking about it) and because it was only 99p on Kindle. I honestly do not have a clue about how I felt about this book. It's got very 50's-era language, which meant that a lot of the time what they were saying and the story itself didn't make much sense to me; it may be just me, but not a lot seemed to happen. I am definitely not the target audience for this book, and I'm really not sure what to say about it.

4. 'Cinder'- Marissa Meyer
HYPOCRITE ALERT. I am the biggest hypocrite in the world. In December I wrote a blog post called '5 series I have no interest in' and I marked the Luna Chronicles as one of them, as I normally struggle to get on with sci-fi, no matter how much I want to like it. In my defence here, however, I did also say that I wasn't entirely decided against reading it, I just wasn't sure. Ever since Winter (the final book) came out in December, and after seeing the hype surrounding that, I've been kind of wanting to pick up Cinder and see for myself. After reading Hitchhiker's, I was in a spacey mood, so I finally jumped on the bandwagon and read it. Basically what I'm trying to say is that I really enjoyed and I'm planning on binge-reading the rest of the series asap. The book wasn't as spacey as I thought it was going to be, but I actually wanted more (I think/hope this will increase as the series develops). I really liked the futuristic, new technology aspect, and I like how it combined all your typically YA new technology/killer disease/future world aspects without being your stereotypical dystopian novel. I really, really enjoyed this book and I'm excited to see where it takes me.

Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment