Wednesday 31 August 2016

TOP 5 WEDNESDAY | BOOKS I WILL NEVER READ

Firstly, just remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion here, ta. I really like hearing about books that people really didn't enjoy or that they'll never read, I secretly do quite enjoy a bit of book bashing (unless someones opinion is different from my own, then I'm just like everyone else and get really defensive over my favourite books). I made a post a bit like this at the end of last year titled 'five series I have no interest in' where I said that I had no interest in ever reading the Lunar Chronicles and then I read it and loved it, so these opinions may change over time, and I'm going to try and not have any repeats from that list here. I'm going to enjoy this one. (I'm also going to cheat a bit here and include authors I will never read, because I cheat at every book-blog-post-related task). I'm very annoyed, I'd written this whole post in advance and then half of it disappeared, ugh. 

1. 'Four'- Veronica Roth
I've never spoken about my feelings for the 'Divergent' series on my blog before, but I'll go into a little bit of detail now. I loved the first two books, they were fantastic, I was so excited for Allegiant that I pre-ordered it in hardback. And then it happened. Allegiant was one of the worst things I've ever read, not only did I just not enjoy the story, it was really poorly written. Tris and Four's chapters sounded so similar that 90% of the time I couldn't remember who's point of view I was reading from. I hated Allegiant so much that it's put me off the entire Divergent trilogy and I still haven't (and probably won't) watch the films- not to mention that I also hate three of the main actors. I will never read 'Four'. This may be the only one on the list that I know 100% I will never, ever read. I'm willing to give Veronica Roth another chance, as part of me still remembers how much I enjoyed the first two books, but I'm reluctant.

2. Anything by Khaled Hosseini
'The Kite Runner' is my most hated book of all time and I refuse to read anything else by Khaled Hosseini, regardless of how many people tell me how amazing these other books may be. Never.

3. Anything by Colleen Hoover
Absolutely none of her books appeal to me, simple as. It also annoys me that all of her characters have weird names, not every character needs to be named something original and quirky.

4. 'Girl Online'- Zoe Sugg (aka Zoella)
I used to really like Zoella, I read her blog, I watched all her videos and, like everyone else, I just really wanted her life. That was until 2014, when 'Girl Online' came out. Once it was revealed that the book was actually ghostwritten, I went completely off Zoella, so much so that even now I greatly dislike her. I have no problem with ghostwriting in the way that some celebrities do it, which is putting their name on the front but openly acknowledging in the book that it was written by someone else, but what really annoyed me with Zoella was that she claimed that she'd written the book herself, giving no acknowledgement to who actually wrote it, and would've continued to have claimed it as her own if Penguin hadn't revealed that it actually had been ghostwritten. After the backlash from that, I do believe that Zoella has written the other books in the series herself, but it now feels like she's milking the story and I've heard that the books are not very well written. This whole thing has put me completely off Zoella as a person and I will never read anything she writes.

5. 'Half Bad'- Sally Green
I couldn't really think of a last book for this list that wasn't a repetition from other, similar lists that I've made, and then I rediscovered this one. I have absolutely no interest in paranormal books, especially ones about witches, and I am confident that I will never, ever read this book.

Rosie

2 comments:

  1. That's exactly why I will not be reading Girl Online. People can do what they want, but I feel it is disrespectful, and a slap in the face to find out that she didn't really write the book...Oh yeah she might have come up with an idea of two, but I think its lame. When I think of Ghostwriters, I think of people who help right biographies. To me, you shouldn't be able to put your name on a FICTION book that someone else wrote...Especially if it doesn't have the ghostwriters name on the front cover as well..Sorry for the rant! :) My T5W! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you there haha, I don't mind ghostwriting as long as the actual author is given credit as well, great T5W post yourself :)

      Delete