Friday 25 July 2014

HERE COMES THE SUMMER

The minute my Christmas tree was taken down and Christmas was officially over, my brain switched into 'yes summer now please', so here is my summer essentials:

1. Nails
I realised when writing this section that I ramble. A lot. So I am making a separate post which will probably be published on the same day. 
I am a big, big fan of coral, mint and pastel colours in general and summer is the perfect time to crack those babies out. Wearing light coloured nails such as white or pale pink is also key in the summer as they make you look more tanned.

2. Eyes
One thing I have come to really love in the summer is brown eyeliner as it looks softer and more natural on the eyes; my all-time favourite eyeliner that I use daily in black is the Body Shop Carbon Eye Definer, so I bought it in brown as well.
My eyeshadow colours are both Body Shop (there is a trend) Colour Crush colours in 'Pink Crush' and 'Mon Cherry' but I also think golds are beautiful around this time of year and it is high time I dug out my beautiful Sephora gold shadow.


3. Lips
For lip balm I'd have to go with the Body Shop lip butter in Shea- I did a post on this back in February and I just love it (I'd wanted to try one for SO LONG), it has a nutty scent (obviously) that is perfect for all year round as it smells like summer but at the same time smells like winter (if that makes any sense) and it is just a wonder product for smooth lips. Also this summer I have EOS pomegranate-raspberry (smells like summer heaven), and Body Shops' Vitamin E balm with SPF.

I don't wear lip gloss all that much as I prefer balms, but my long-term lip gloss favourite that I have rediscovered recently has got to be the Body Shop Coconut Lip Gloss as it is such a subtle pink shimmer but it is so beautiful on. The Body Shop born lippys are also perfect in the summer as they smell fruity and amazing, my favourite being guava which literally smells like heaven.

For lipsticks my two summer colours are both from Topshop- Rio Rio (a bright red matte) and Infrared (a bright, almost neon, orange matte); but also I couldn't resist throwing one of my dark colours in there, probably my absolute most favourite, Rimmel Kate Moss (matte) in 107. My new summer purchase as of today is the Rimmel London Lasting Finish Colour Rush (mouthful) in 'Not an Illusion' which is so beautiful and I am really excited to wear it (pictured above).



4. Face
I never wear all that much face makeup in the summer as it feels gross to have a full face of makeup when everything is all hot and sweaty. The one thing I would say though is make sure you bring not only your normal shade of face makeup (concealer in my case), but also the next shade up so you don't end up wearing makeup in the wrong shade if you tan.
(Collection Lasting Perfection concealer)
5. Hair
The best way to get a nice summery hair look is to go in the sea, but obviously that is not an option for everyone so there is the lovely alternative of sea salt spray. I have the Lush one and I think I'd actually have to say don't buy Lush, buy a different one. The Lush spray is made from sea salt, sea water and sea weed and so sniff it is a very strong salty scent, but is also quite nice. HOWEVER this nice version of the scent wears off and just becomes quite unbearable if you are walking around the whole day smelling it, also your head smells and that is quite antisocial.
TOP TIP FOR SUMMER: Firstly, wear your hair down as then the sun shines all over it and lightens your hair to pretty colours. ALSO when your hair is wet, put some lemon juice (just squeeze a lemon for it) on your hair and it lightens your hair and it works really well.

6. Bath
Not technically 'bath' items as such, but exfoliating gloves for super smoothy smooth legs (expect a post on this sometime soon) and Body Shop body butters- need I say any more on them?

7. Clothing
All I can say is pastels, florals, Aztec and loose, floating clothing. Lovely.
Also I feel that my all-time favourite shorts should get a mention here: Johnnie B (by Boden clothing) chino shorts. They are undoubtedly the comfiest shorts in the world.
One more shoutout here to Next and their padded, underwired bikinis which are super comfy and suporting and make your cleavage look great.

8. Accessorises
Satchels- good all year round (debating doing a 'what's in my bag' post soon). Also, more floral in the form of scarves and big sunhats are my fave. Plus, something I have been loving since summer 2013 but have only just got my hands on, Juju jelly shoes; I have the heeled ones in black but I am torn over getting some flat ones in a brighter colour as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment