Sunday 9 November 2014

WHAT I'VE BEEN READING #1

I've been reading a lot recently, like literally plowing through book after book after book (I have a library reserved list longer than my arm). I thought, instead of writing multiple reviews of each book, I'd include them all here in one post (and this isn't even all of them).

Apologies, nigh on impossible to phottograph

How to Build a Girl- Caitlin Moran
This is Caitlin Moran's first novel (she's written other non-fiction books) and I love her column in the Times Magazine so I thought I'd give this a go. And oh my God did I love it. It made me want to drop out of school, write for a music magazine, live in the 80's, wear even more black than normal, smoke a pack a day, and spend the rest of my time hanging out in London pubs with musicians. I think I may have had an epiphany while reading it. It's funny, it's rude and a lot of it is so very real. Amazing.

Emma- Jane Austen
One thing that not many people know about me is my complete, unabiding, unforgiving, eternal love for Jane Austen. I love everything about it, I love her books, I love the whole 'Jane Austen' world, if I could live in any time period it would be smack bang in the middle of 'Pride and Prejudice' or 'Emma'. If you didn't know, the 90's film 'Clueless' is actually based on 'Emma', and the two of them are some of my most favourite things in the whole entire world. 'Emma' is everything I love about Austen, it has the country village lifestyle, the attractive men, and it's just so cheerful, I love it.

The Importance of Being Earnest- Oscar Wilde 
I have realised that this is probably one of my most favourite stories of all time (it's a play not a book); it's just one of the happiest, funniest and most uplifting things I have ever read and I am just so in love with it. Plus, a film with Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Reese Witherspoon and Judi Dench? Yes please. (The film is amazing, watch it).

Frankenstein- Mary Shelley 
I had to read this for my English Literature A2 course and to be honest I really didn't like it. It was really hard to get into the story and I don't think I ever properly did. Thanks to this book I didn't read for weeks as I saw reading this as something of a chore but I wouldn't let myself read anything else until I'd finished it. Unless you really love Gothic literature, sadly, I probably wouldn't recommend this.

The Rosie Effect- Graeme Simsion 
I loved the first book of this duo, 'The Rosie Project', which I wrote a review on way back. I didn't think the book needed a sequel, but I was willing to give it a go anyway. I'm not going to suagr-coat any of this, I didn't finish the book, because I actually found it really boring. I'm really disappointed as I loved the first book, but this one was just really boring, cringey and uncomfortable and I'm so glad I didn't waste my money buying it. (You should totally read the first one though, just don't bother with the second- I didn't even get half-way through it).

Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
I read this over the summer when I was (and still am) trying to work my way through classic literature novels. I love this book, the story is so good and it's one of those books where you get invested in all the characters. I would say, though, read the book before you watch the film as I watched the film first and the book definitely loses something if you know whats to come (no spoilers).

No comments:

Post a Comment