Friday 21 November 2014

WHAT I'VE BEEN READING #2

I was going to do this in one post but I realised I've read so much in the past few months and I'd wanted to include all of them, that I was going to have to do it in two posts. At least.

Gone Girl- Gillian Flynn
Not going to lie, most of the books on this list I read because everyone else was reading them but I did enjoy this one. It's one of those books that's quite easy to read but is a true page turner, there were a lot of plot twists and some of it was very tense. I liked it but I don't think it deserves all the things it's hyped up to be, I definitely wouldn't define it as a 'thriller' as it was not at all scary, and I did hate the main two characters, but I think you're supposed to. Many people said the ending was disappointing and, though I would say it didn't have the big explosion of sorts that it should have had, it wasn't fully disappointing for me. Also, does the title bug anyone else? It doesn't look or sound grammatically correct to me.

We are all Completely Beside Ourselves- Karen Joy Fowler
I was so excited to read this, I literally waited a whole month for my library reservation to arrive. I love the idea behind this book, it's like your classic 'missing child' book but with the world's biggest twist. Starting this book, it had the potential to be amazing, it's one of those books where you literally can't even begin to imagine how it's going to end or what's going to happen next; personally I wasn't all that keen on the plot twist (you will die when you read it, it's the biggest twist I've ever read) as for me it completely changed the whole tone of the book and I think the author could have done something pretty spectacular without the twist. This book was an eye-opener to the behind the scenes of animal labs, the stuff that we all already know but don't like to think about; I did love this book, but it had the potential to be so much better, it just depends on what angle you look at the story.

We Were Liars- E. Lockhart
This book not only destroyed my heart, it ripped it into shreds in front of me whilst laughing at the pain. I got this book out the library, not realising that it was actually teenage fiction, but that doesn't even matter here, it's incredible. I read it in two days and would've done it quicker if not for homework. The book builds up mystery from the word go... and then the reality of the book hits you and you break. After finishing this I literally thought I would never be happy again. I loved the book, I love the cover, I love the characters, I love the setting, I love it so much I'm buying my own copy so I can have it near me always.

Daughter- Jane Shemilt
I found that this book took quite a long time to actually get going and it's another of those books that I never really got into. I greatly disliked all of the characters and the situations themselves seemed at bit too outlandish to be true. I just didn't like this book, and that's all there is to say about it. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever read, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

If I Stay- Gayle Forman
I started off not too sure about this book, it does sound slightly like it was written by a ten year old at times, but overall I actually quite enjoyed it. I actually managed to finish the whole thing in a day. I have one major negative about it, and I'm not going to give anything away (though everyone can probably guess what happens), but the scenes at the start of the book with Mia and her family are just too cringey and happy-clappy to function, the conversation between them is written sounding unbelievably forced and, being at the start, the scenes almost threw the whole book off for me. But overall I did enjoy it, I'm definitely going to see the film at one point (love love love Chloe Grace Moretz) and I will probably read the sequel book. It's not the best thing I've ever read, but it's no where near the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment