Saturday 31 October 2015

2015 READING CHALLENGE: OCTOBER ROUND-UP

In October I read 5 books, meaning that I have read 56 books in 2015. I re-kicked my Harry Potter obsession this month and now it's basically all I ever think about. I also started but didn't finished 'Not That Kind of Girl' by Lena Dunham, I just couldn't get into it and I really couldn't stand the writing voice of the author. I am currently a little over 100 pages through 'Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian' by Rick Riordan, the final book in the series.

Books Read:

1. 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?'- Mindy Kaling 
I love Mindy Kaling, I read this book in around November last year but I wanted to re-read it, as I've been watching the US Office and I wanted to re-read what she'd written about it, as it didn't make sense to me the last time. I also wanted to re-read it before her second book came out at the start of October. The first time I read this book, I thought it was only okay, I gave it about 3.5 stars on Goodreads but this time, ohmygosh, this time, I absolutely loved it. I flew through this book in about two days, it was a five star read and I'd consider it one of my favourites. Definitely worth a re-read, it was incredible and hilarious and insightful and oh I just love Mindy so much.

2. 'Why Not Me?'- Mindy Kaling
The minute I saw this was coming out, I wanted to read it. I also had no clue that it was coming out so that was a nice surprise. I found this one a slower read than Mindy's first book, I wasn't as into it as I was the first book, but I'm wondering if it'll be the same case as before where I'll absolutely love it if I re-read it. I still really enjoyed it, I enjoy Mindy's writing style and her topics, and I still absolutely love her.

3. 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'- J.K. Rowling 
Now this book. This book. This book. This book has always had a bad rep as being the most boring of all the Harry Potter books, it's very, very, very long and fairly slow paced, and it's always seen as everyone's least favourite. I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series at the moment and I was very apprehensive about this one, I read it when I was quite a bit younger and I was wondering if being older would change my opinions of it (my parents said it wouldn't). But OHMYGOD I absolutely loved this book, everyone I say this to thinks I'm crazy because of how negative the perception of it is but it was incredible. I was absolutely hooked and I'd go as far as to say that this beast is in my top three Harry Potter books. (Top three, previously two, four and seven, currently (as I write this) one, three and five with number six fighting it's way into the top).

4. 'Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince'- J.K. Rowling
After I finished Harry Potter five I was somewhat obsessed, I literally didn't want to do anything else apart from read more Harry Potter, so I did. And holy shit this book was incredible. I flew through this in about three days (it's a 600-and-something-page book) and it was just so, so, so good. I'd always said how good the film of this book was but it really does not do the book justice. There's so many things in the book that aren't in the film and it's just amazing, I absolutely loved all the bits with the memories and the horcruxes and just wow. I can't believe I only have one book left to re-read.

5. 'Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth'- Rick Riordan
I'd tried to start this book twice before I finally got down to reading it, but the other times I just hadn't been in the mood. But this time, I was so in the mood and it was absolutely incredible, I loved, loved, loved the labyrinth and, obviously, I'm absolutely in love with the genius use of mythology. I love Percy, Rick Riordan is a genius, this is the best book of the series so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment