Friday 26 September 2014

GOING BACK TO THE BEGINNING

In honour of my blog turning one year old on 23rd August I am going right back to the beginning and writing a sorted of updated version of one of my earliest blog posts from September 2013, in September 2014.

I started my blog when Maybelline's Baby Lips had just launched in the UK and were a massive cult favourite. As per everyone else I wrote a couple of blog posts on them but overall I wasn't taken with them; I haven't used them in a very long time (though you can go back to the start of my blog to see my thoughts then) but I remember thinking that, while they were nice, they just weren't worth the hype and there were much better products out there.

The UK is always behind on makeup collections, everything gets released in the US and then takes at least a year to come out over here, plus we never get the whole collection or we get a slightly changed version. Maybelline's Baby Lips is a prime example of this, they were a cult favourite in the US for quite a while before being introduced to the UK in summer 2013, and there has also been at least four or five new Baby Lips collections in the US while the UK has only just got its second one- the Electro collection.

Not going to lie, I was fully prepared to pass this trend by, but I found colours that were too pretty not to at least try (plus Superdrug had a buy-one-get-one-half-price offer). While the US has a collection of six Baby Lips Electro balms, the UK only has four; not entirely unfortunately that we in the UK have missed out on neon green and yellow tinted lip balms, a strange choice that we can all probably live without. I'm not sure how long the Electro collection has been out in the UK (I bought mine in August and they hadn't been out long then), but we have four colours: a hot pink, a coral pink, an orange and a purple. Everyone knows my love of purple but I decided to give that one a miss as I already have a purple tinted Body Shop lip balm and I also passed on the hot pink as that has never been my thing. The orange and coral however...

Oranges and corals are some of my favourite colours for the likes of lips and nails so I couldn't pass up on the idea of these, especially since the name of the coral one. I love a good orange lipstick in the summer but you have to be quite brave to wear it (I currently have the neon bright orange lipstick that is Topshop's 'Infrared') so 'Oh Orange' definitely appealed in its promise of a sheer orange tint; 'Strike a Rose' (see, amazing name) was also a definite winner for me colour-wise as you can never go wrong with a rose/coral colour. Luckily for lip product addicts like me I was able to justify my purchase with Superdrug's buy-one-get-one-half-price offer.

(If you note on more or less every review post I start a paragraph with 'one thing I must say is...' so here you go). One thing I must say is that you need to have perfectly smooth lips to wear these lip balms as they drag on the areas of dry skin that (I personally) sometimes get round the edges of my bottom lip and you them get a patch of neon coloured dry skin with is obvious to everyone and does not look good. With smooth lips, though, they're perfectly fine.
Comparrison of the American (left) and UK (right) packaging- the UK one is miles nicer
There's not all that much I can say on these lip balms as, to be honest, I'm still not wholly taken with Baby Lips. I'm comparing them to the clear Baby Lips in Hydrate (which I actually have an American version of- I don't know if this affects anything?), but the consistency of the Electro Baby Lips feels thicker than that of the clear one. Personally I prefer a thicker formula as I feel like the product is more likely to stay in place, and I don't feel like my lipstick is about to slip off the top.
The products have an okay scent, for me rose scented things can be iffy but 'Strike a Rose' does actually have quite a nice smell (the smells fade after a while on your lips which is good), I'm less keen on the scent of 'Oh Orange' and I hate to say it but I think the smell has got worse over time, it still has a tangy orange scent but it just doesn't smell anywhere near as good as it did when newly bought.
Though I have been quite negative about these products so far, I have to say that I actually really like the colour of 'Strike a Rose' on the lips (it is by far my favourite of the two overall), it gives a very pretty cross between very-pigmented-and-sheer colour that I think looks really nice on; 'Oh Orange' has quite a nice colour as well but there's something a little weird about it and, though I love it as a lipstick colour, it will never be my go-to for a tinted lipbalm but I see it could be wearable.

Though I will carry on using them, these lip balms are too high maintenance for me for what they are. I personally just want to whack on a tinted lip balm for a tiny bit of colour on more chilled days, and I don't like the fact that I have to spend so much time making sure my lips are super smooth before I use this product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment