Friday 19 September 2014

MARY POPPINS BAG

I'd like to apologise for the fact that I've taken some really, really bad photos today, the lighting is awful and I've been out all day.

I mentioned in my Summer Essentials post that I was thinking of doing a 'what's in my bag'... So I did. Because I am a nosey sod. And these are my favourite posts/videos that people do.

1. The Bag
You can't do a 'what's in my bag' without first having a bag, and here it is, my lovely bag. I've been wanting a satchel since last summer (my best friend got a monogrammed Cambridge Satchel with her initials on and I am unbelievably jealous) and this one is from Accessorize back in May when it was reduced to £17 from £32 (fabby deal if I say so myself). The colour is actually a lighter brown than it appears here in the picture.

2. Scarf
Sometimes it's nice to tie a pretty scarf around the handle of your bag just to add an extra something. This is my all-time favourite scarf to wear in the winter (scarves aren't really acceptable in the summer) but sadly I am not sure where it is from.

3. Notebook
(And pen, essential really). I take the tube quite a lot living in London so sometimes I have super awesome ideas that need to be written down straight away. I keep two notebooks of different sizes in my bag, one from The Beatles shop in Liverpool and one from Paperchase from the best friend as we have a long-running joke about my fear of hummus. The pen is your bog-standard BIC black biro. Exciting.

4. Sunglasses
Since it's summer there's still some blindingly sunny moments alongside the rain here in England I am still keeping my sunglasses in my bag for the time being, though they will probably be traded in for gloves by the end of the month. I find it hard to find a style of sunglasses/glasses that suit me (my actual glasses are cat-eye ones) but every year I love this style of sunnies (this year's ones from Accessorize).
I also got this monster sunglasses case from Claire's Accessories as I have the tendency to break or scratch my favourite pairs by leaving them loose or in those flimsy cases that do nothing to protect them.

5. Glasses
The power of sight is a wonderful thing (cat-eye glasses by Miss Sixty).

6. Purse
I am in the midst of getting myself a new purse as I am not a major fan of the one I currently have. I love having a plain bag as I personally love the way a patterned purse goes with the plain bag- call me sad. The purse I want is the most perfect size ever and is the Cath Kidston 'Zip Wallet'.

7. Hair Things
Sometimes when I wear my hair down by the end of the day all I want to die is tie it up, and it is agony when I don't have any hair ties on me. Another essential is hair grips, these end up lining the inside of my bag but they are just the most useful things.

8. Another Purse
I have yet another purse but this time a small, one-compartment one (my friend got if for me from Turkey and it is the most perfect size for things like this). I use this as a kind of 'emergency kit' as it contains the aforementioned hair grips and hair ties (because how annoying is it when you have a bag full of loose ones floating around the bottom), paracetamol, a mini guide to CPR, cotton wool, and girl-things (you know). It can also be used for receipts, loose change, nail files and the occasional bit of makeup.

9. Mirror
Very useful for checking your face on the go, mine is from one of the London museums (can't remember which) but it has a picture of one of Degas' Ballerina paintings on the back and he is probably my favourite artist ever (recommend Googling pictures of his ballerina paintings because they are beautiful).

10. Things that Make you Smell Nice
A body spray or mini deodorant is always good, especially when you've had a long day or have been on tubes and stuff. Under this category comes gum which I believe is an essential for any day; and also handcream. My current body spray is just a Boots-own strawberry one and my handcream is the Body Shop one in Vanilla Bliss (which I'm sorry to say was part of their Christmas range but still smells amazing).

11. Lip Products
Obviously I couldn't not fill my bag up with lip products. My current favourites in the world of balms are Burt's Bees (I've had this since last summer and it's perfect for topping up throughout the day as it's a harder balm and is not at all greasy, I also associate the minty smell of it with summer as that is when I got it) and the EOS one in pomegrante-rasberry (I really need to get another one of these as I am swapping it daily between this bag, my school bag and my bedroom). I also carry my lipstick of the day- if I'm wearing one- around with me; and a Maybelline Baby Lips in 'Hydrate/Quenched' (depending on your country- I have an American one) as I'm trying to encourage myself to get more use out of it.

12. Hand Cleaning Items
I carry both wet wipes and antibacterial hand gel around with me as I really, really, really hate having sticky hands and sometimes when you're out and eating/have eaten/have been on the train it's nice to be able to clean your hands. Antibacterial hand gel is a god-send as you're not left holding a wet wipe at the end of it that you have to carry until you find a bin as it will make your pocket/inside your bag all wet. I do carry wet wipes though to avoid shiny faces during the day, but mostly so I can wash makeup testers off my hands when I'm out shopping. Genius.

13. Planner
I bought this to double as a daily life/college planner and it is so useful. Plus it makes me feel grown-up and organised when I use it. (From W H Smiths).
I'm in love

No comments:

Post a Comment