Wednesday 30 December 2015

BEST BOOKS OF 2015

The time has come. It is the end of 2015. And to be honest with you, it was a really, really great year for me in all senses of the word. In 2015, I read an astonishing total of 72 (complete) books; since I only properly got back into reading in 2014, that's a ridiculous number of books. Today a have compiled a list of my favourite books of 2015 (there's quite a few, I read a lot of great books this year) in no particular and very random order (in the order they appeared on my Goodreads shelf). I'm not going to go into detail on any of these books as you can see my thoughts on each of them in my monthly reading wrap-up posts and I have a hell of a lot of favourites, but here we go...

1. 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?'- Mindy Kaling
I read this at the end of 2014 but I thought it was only okay. I wanted to re-read it as I wanted to re-read the bits on The Office when they made sense (I hadn't watched it before) and I wanted to read it again before I read her new book. This time round, I thought it was brilliant and I absolutely loved it.

2. 'The Scorch Trials'- James Dashner
At the end of 2014 I became somewhat obsessed with the Maze Runner series, so obviously this was going to make the list. Second books in trilogies are never as good, but I really enjoyed this one.

3. 'The Death Cure'- James Dashner
A great finale to the Maze Runner trilogy, I was slightly disappointed with the ending of this book, but as an ending to the series it was fab.

4. 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban'- J.K. Rowling
My family are all obsessed with the film of this book, but I've never really seem the hype until now. It's still not my favourite of the films, but holy cow this book was absolutely incredible. Like beyond amazing. It's definitely now one of my favourite books of the series when it never was before. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.

5. 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix'- J.K. Rowling
Another surprise Harry Potter to make this list, but this one was so incredible I was slightly in shock. This book has always got hate for being the most long, slow and boring of the Harry Potter series, but I absolutely loved it, so much I can't believe it. I didn't like it at all before but I flew through it and it's now one of my favourites

6. 'Anne of Green Gables'- L.M. Montgomery 
This is my favourite book of all-time, so of course it's included here.

7. 'Brazen'- Katherine Longshore
This is a historical fiction set in the time of the Tudors and Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, which is my absolute favourite period of history. I thought I'd enjoy this book, the first sentence alone is incredible, but I was surprised about just how much I loved it and how invested I got in all of these characters. It's an amazing read and I'd highly, highly recommend it.

8. 'The Princess Bride'- William Goldman
This book is so damn weird. And if you don't get straight on board with the weirdness, I imagine it can be a really difficult book to enjoy. I was hesitant at first because of just how weird it is, but I ended up really loving it and I'm now trying to force everyone else to read it.

9. 'How to Be a Woman'- Caitlin Moran
This book changed my life. It was incredible, hands down one of the top three books I read it 2015. I love Caitlin Moran and just everything about this book was absolutely mind-blowingly incredible. I'd recommend it to anyone of any gender (though maybe 16+). Fantastic.

10. 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief'- Rick Riordan
Percy Jackson is a well-known and well-loved series for good reason. It's really enjoyable to read and it's actually genius. Anyone of any age would enjoy this book.

11. 'Doon'- Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
This is fun, trivial romance with attractive boys and the most gorgeous book setting ever seen. What could be better?

12. 'The Selection'- Kiera Cass
Even more trashy, trivial and fun than Doon, but I loved it so, so much. Sometimes you just want to read a princess book set in a castle with pretty dresses and nice romance and just general everything-is-easy-and-fun, and this delivered all that and more of the same. I really enjoyed it, plus it gave me Miss Congeniality vibes which was a bonus for me.

13. 'The Raven Boys'- Maggie Sitefvater 
I won't go into too much detail with this as everyone must know by now that I am beyond obsessed with the Raven Boys. After the first book this became one of my most favourite series of all-time and I don't think I have words enough to describe just how much I love it.

14. 'The Invasion of the Tearling'- Erika Johansen 
By far the best book I read this year. This is the second book in a trilogy and it was so, so fantastic. I can't give anything away without spoilers but holy cow. I can hardly wait for the third book.

15. 'The Dream Thieves'- Maggie Stiefvater
The second book in the Raven Cycle series and definitely the best of the three published (so far). I loved everything about this book, I am in love with the Raven Boys, this is one of the best books I read this year.

16. 'Heir of Fire'- Sarah J. Maas
The Throne of Glass series is immensely popular and I read all the books currently published this year. I can totally understand the hype, I thought this book was brilliant, I flew through it reading 100+ pages a day, I can see why everyone loves it.

17. 'Queen of Shadows'- Sarah J. Maas
So amazing, I have no words.

18. 'Me and Earl and the Dying Girl'- Jesse Andrews
You wouldn't think it, but this was a really fun, hilariously funny read. I read the entire thing in a day and I really, really enjoyed it.

19. 'Paper Towns'- John Green
This book surprised me for two reasons. Firstly, the premise of this book never seemed like something I'd enjoy, it was sitting on my shelf for over two years before I finally picked it up, and secondly I'm not all that big a fan of John Green. I really, really enjoyed this book, it's definitely my favourite of John Green's works, and I was surprised about how much I enjoyed it.

20. 'Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe'- Benjamin Alire Saenz
This book was just beautiful, it made my heart all warm and fuzzy and I'd recommend it highly to everyone.

21. 'Blue Lily, Lily Blue'- Maggie Stiefvater
I just really loved the Raven Boys this year.

22. 'Moranthology'- Caitlin Moran
This is a collection of some of Caitlin Moran's columns in the Times magazine, and I really like her columns and her writing. I will read anything this woman publishes.

23. 'Anna and the French Kiss'- Stephanie Perkins 
This is another book that surprised me, I didn't think it would be something I'd enjoy, but holy shit I loved it so, so much. I read this entire book in less than 24 hours and had to struggle to stop myself from re-reading it again straight away. I fell so in love with these characters (especially St Clair, you know what I mean) and I spent far too much time thinking about it when I should have been thinking about other things (which also happened with the Raven Boys); I loved this.

No comments:

Post a Comment